Thursday, December 1, 2011

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR DECEMBER 2011

November was a wonderful month for movies, as far as I'm concerned. For this site especially as it began with an unproduced work from John Hughes, concluded with an early screening of a new Cameron Crowe film and with no less than two features from Martin Scorsese smack dab in the middle.

But now...it's really time for the "big guns."

December is the month where Hollywood lets all of their cinematic horses out the gate to run free and it is my job to try and catch them all jointly for my viewing pleasure and of course, for my pleasure to write about them for you.

Typically, and especially as the responsibilities of the holidays takes over nearly every aspect of life, there is absolutely no way that I can possibly see everything that I wish to see during this month. Some titles will indeed spill over into January 2012 (for that matter, there are November titles I have not seen yet including "The Muppets," "Alexander Payne's "The Descendents" and Clint Eastwood's "J. Edgar") but I will indeed see what I am able to get myself to.

1. After being blessed with two films each from the aforementioned Crowe and Scorsese, December will grace us with two new films from no less than Steven Spielberg as he releases "The Adventures Of Tintin" (his collaboration with Peter Jackson as Producer) and the equine World War 1 drama "War Horse" within mere days of each other.

2. On the more big budgeted action movie front, I am very excited to see Guy Ritchie's sequel "Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows" as well as "Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol," the fourth installment of the series and the first live action feature directed by Brad Bird who helmed Pixar's "The Incredibles" (2004) and "Ratatouille" (2007).

3. On the arthouse and dramatic front, I am still hoping to catch the following selections...
-Lars von Trier's "Melancholia"
-"Young Adult," the new film from Director Jason Reitman who reunites with his "Juno" (2007) screenwriter Diablo Cody
-Director Stephen Daldry's post 9/11 drama "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"
-And finally, I am very interested in viewing the highly celebrated black and white silent movie "The Artist."

4. Ever since he released "Se7en" (1995), David Fincher has sailed to the peaks of filmmakers whose work I will always make time to screen. While the arrival of his adaptation of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is no exception it does come with extreme trepidation as I truly believe that the three terrific Swedish films have already cemented author Stieg Larsson's novels into cinematic glory. That said, I will be there to give Fincher's version a fair shot.

From here, there may be a couple of extra surprises as I have two postings currently in the hopper. And yes, Savage Cinema will indeed reach two new milestones this month as well.

It's going to be a busy month all the way around to be certain. But until then, allow me to extend to all of you a most peaceful holiday season and equally peaceful beginnings to the New Year.

And I'll see you all when the house lights go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment