Sunday, December 2, 2012

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR DECEMBER 2012

Well...it just goes to show you...or me, for that matter. When I make sincere plans for my month long cinematic activities, they tend to become compromised or fall through completely. Yet, when my plans are looser, less thought out, I am able to produce more than I ever imagined that I would. November was indeed a highly productive month for me and the amount of material generated based on the amount of films I viewed is thrilling to me to look back upon.

So as I head into December, I will try my best to keep any sense of plans open and free, especially as the demands of the holiday season take precedent. But, if Santa were to grant me every cinematic wish this month, this is what i hope for...

1. I am, in fact, about to head out to a screening of Steven Spielberg's' "Lincoln" this very afternoon  So, a review will be forthcoming.

2. Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" is near the very tip-top of my wish list as his superlatively unique brand of cinematic storytelling is one that has riveted my senses for nearly 20 years. I am hoping that his latest revisionist history/revenge fantasy/"Spaghetti western" hybrid matches up to his previous works.

3. Sitting in about the same place as Tarantino's latest is Judd Apatow's "This Is 40," a film that been already receiving high praise from early critics screenings. I am hoping that my man Apatow can deliver the good once again while also probing new, emotional territory.

4. And of course, I could not forget Peter Jackson's return to Middle Earth with "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," the first installment of his new prequel trilogy. Surprisingly, I am a bit trepidacious about this venture as the "unexpected journey" of this venture felt to me to be more than expected...so much so, that I have jokingly referred to this series as "The Hobbit: Return To The Well"! All jokes aside, I wish for Jackson to achieve what he had majestically accomplished with his definitive adaptation of "The Lord Of The Rings." I hope for this new trilogy to be as artful, intelligent and as emotional as I am certain the special effects will be. I want him to keep chasing the muse and not the dollar and only viewing the final results will tell.

Beyond that...I am anxious to view the new HBO documentary "The Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane," as well as Director Joe Wright's adaptation of "Anna Karenina," Spike Lee's "Red Hook Summer," the LCD Soundsystem concert film "Shut Up And Play The Hits," and I have to see my man Bill Murray as FDR in "Hyde Park On The Hudson."

So many films, so little time but I will do what I am able as Savage Cinema nears its latest milestone, one that could not have happened if not for all of you!!!!

Until then, I'll see you when the house lights go down.....

No comments:

Post a Comment