Sunday, January 1, 2012

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR JANUARY 2012

In with the new, I say! In with the new!!!

Yes, dear readers, on this first day of 2012, I am all about "the new." But, for most of this month, I will still be surrounded with "the old," so to speak as there are several films released in December 2011 that I have not seen yet due to the events of the holiday season.

Still in the pipeline to hopefully see are the following features...

1. Steven Spielberg's two features "War Horse" and "The Adventures Of Tintin," and for the latter, I have to find an elusive 2D screening!

2. "Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol" from Director Brad Bird.

3. Guy Ritchie's sequel "Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows."

4. And yes, I still have not had the opportunity to see Alexander Payne's highly acclaimed "The Descendants" yet, either.

After seeing those features, I will then begin to compile and present my annual four part series commemorating the cinematic year of 2011...which will then be just in time for the Academy Awards season as well.

And even with all of that, there are at least potentially two NEW features I wish to screen. The first is Director Cameron Crowe's third 2011 feature, "The Union" a music documentary starring Elton John and Leon Russell as they collaborate on their duet album.

The second is George Lucas' eternally gestating World War II action film, "Red Tails," the exploits of the African-American assembled Tuskegee Airmen starring Cuba Gooding Jr. and Terrence Howard. Intriguing me even more about this project is that the film was directed by Anthony Hemingway, who has helmed several episodes of the extraordinary HBO series "Treme," and the screenplay was written by veteran scribe John Ridley and Aaron McGruder, creator of the brilliant "Boondocks" comic series.

2012 is already running fast out of the gate and I am just trying to keep pace. So, as always and forever more, I'll see you when the house lights go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment