Sunday, January 8, 2012

OCEAN OF EMOTION: a review of "War Horse"


“WAR HORSE”
Based upon the novel by Michael Morpurgo
and the stage play adaptation by Nick Stafford
Screenplay Written by Lee Hall and Richard Curtis
Directed by Steven Spielberg
**** (four stars)

Dedicated to my beloved Rigby & Jada and to my dearly departed Pekoe & Kiwi

Dear readers, I am man enough to tell you straightaway that this film made me cry. Not simply a few sympathetic tears accompanied by a modicum of sniffles. No, folks. I silently sobbed like a hurt three-year-old child and as of the time of this writing, my eyes still feel the slight sting of those salty tears. Such is the power of the cinema when wielded by none other than Steven Spielberg.

Steven Spielberg’s “War Horse” is as old fashioned of a film as they come (short of being a silent movie like “The Artist”) as it combines the war film, the western and the tear jerker into a sumptuous experience. From the film’s first images, you will know that we are not necessarily placed into a realistic approximation of the world as we know it. This is the dream world of the movies, where the land is made of rolling vistas of green grass and the skies carry an impossible golden sheen. “War Horse” is a fable, a folktale of the horse with an iron will and a spirit that transforms all who encounter it, at home and at war. Ultimately, it is a tribute to the unshakable bond between the horse and the boy who loved him from birth. And for me, the entire production worked extraordinarily well because when you are in the hands of Steven Spielberg, you are, more often than not, in the hands of a true master. For almost 40 years now, Spielberg remains at the top of his game. He is a peerless visual storyteller who understands that if you are going to pluck heartstrings to the point of releasing the viewer’s internal floodgates, then you must do so with a pureness of heart and completely without shame. “War Horse” contains a purity that is a rare commodity these days, especially within our ironic, jaded, hipster-cool 21st century. It is also one of my favorite films of 2011.

“War Horse” opens in the lush countryside of Devon, England at the dawn of World War 1. Young Albert Narracott (played by Jeremy Irvine in his film debut) witnesses and is enraptured by the birth of a thoroughbred foal. The foal, now grown into a spirited colt, is then separated from his mother and taken to an auction where, to Albert’s Mother Rose’s (Emily Watson) dismay, he is purchased by his sad, drunken Father Ted (an excellent Peter Mullan) as a plough horse, solely to spite his wealthy landlord, Mr. Lyons (David Thewlis). Albert, already deeply in love with the horse, names it “Joey,” begins to train it and ultimately, the twosome forge a fiercely devoted bond with each other. At the outset of the war, Ted covertly sells Joey to the army in a state of financial desperation. Devastated with the turn of events, Albert pledges his undying love and friendship to Joey, vowing they will one day meet again.

From here, the adventures of Joey unfold as he changes hands with owners on both sides of the war as he faces all manner of wartime atrocities. While his beauty, strength and unbreakable bravery almost magically charms all who come in contact with him, from soldiers to a sickly farm girl (Celine Buckens) and her kindly Grandfather (Neils Arestrup). Yet, the love between Joey and Albert, and the hope that they will one day be reunited, provides the driving motivation for their respective states of perseverance…most especially, when they are each engulfed in the horrors of war.

Steven Spielberg's “War Horse” is not a film that can be intellectualized and nor should it be. This is an experience designed to be felt and felt profoundly, deeply and completely and to that end, Spielberg pours out all of the stops. From the stunning cinematography from Spielberg’s longtime collaborator Janusz Kaminski to the swelling score from composer John Williams, “War Horse” sweeps you away in huge, cascading waves of emotion and sentimentality. Now for some of you, “War Horse” may sound to be nothing more than a cinematic red flag as all of this may be an amount of manipulation that is unnecessary at best and overwrought at worst. Yet, as I have stated before on this site, all movies, regardless of genre or approach are manipulative but what do filmmaking storytellers want to do but to provide the viewer with an experience, which we will respond to? Steven Spielberg is uncommonly gifted, talented and skilled enough to know exactly, precisely when to plunge forwards or pull backwards and with “War Horse,” he forges ahead with a sentimentality that is boldly unrepentant. And for that, I feel that the film is a brave as his finest work.

Yes, “War Horse” is an episodic film meant to remind us (or in some cases, introduce us) of the classic westerns of John Ford with its widescreen canvas. Or even classic war films as well. But beyond any sense of homage, we are clearly within a Steven Spielberg universe where he has this uncanny ability to reduce the resolve of viewers to an emotional state that can only be described as “primal” and he works the heartstrings like the finest of orchestra conductors, always knowing how much, for how long, and most importantly, when. From the film’s brief goodbye between Joey and his Mother, I could feel twinges within me. With Albert’s initial farewell to Joey, I felt them even more. But, it was during the film’s war sequences, which crosscut between the experiences of Joey and the newly enlisted Albert, that Spielberg handles everything with as much skill, power and poeticism as the brutally graphic war sequences of “Saving Private Ryan” (1997), albeit with much less gore.

What spoke to me during this stage of “War Horse” the most was a quality I return to again and again on this site and that is the theme of humanity. I enjoyed the irony of viewing the inhumanity of war being filtered through the undeniable humanity that is found when a human is placed within close proximity with Joey. Somehow, someway, many of the film’s characters find the better part of themselves when confronted with having animals within their care for a spell. As Joey and his wartime horse friend are forced to pull artillery, the sense of compassion shown from one German solder towards Joey’s ailing friend was compelling. During another extended and excruciating sequence, perhaps the film’s best, Joey is trapped within a collapsed set of barbed wire and is aided to freedom by one English soldier and one German soldier.

Most of all, the humanity discovered between the magical bond between humans and animals spoke loudest to me and frankly, I could not help but to be reminded of the bonds I have made with the animals that hold a sacred place in my personal life. And perhaps, this is an aspect of the story that Spielberg wanted to convey to an audience. Think of any animals you have ever had the pleasure to know, to live with, to raise, and to love. I know that for myself, I have often wondered if my cats ever fully know how deeply they are cherished by me. How the friendship and family they have graced me with is priceless beyond measure. I wonder, of course, exactly what they think about their lives with me. What runs through their minds, hearts and souls and do they feel the same way at all. This winter, I had yet another experience that made me treasure those bonds even more as I believe that I have gathered a new insight into their interior worlds.

Simply stated, I spent a few days out of town visiting family and during my time away, I would make calls back home to check in. When I asked about the cats, I was informed that one of them slept upon the satchel I carry to work each day, a spot on which he never sleeps. The other had been spending each night on the back of our couch in a reserve pose and every time a car drove by, she would expectantly look out of the window. A few times, she even dashed to the window by the garage to look outwards even more. Once I returned, and relaxed on the love seat on which she and I spend each and every night together, I was informed that she never once sat or walked on that love seat while I was away.

I share that story with you because I feel it is that set of emotions and experiences that sit strongly and proudly at the heart of the relationship between Joey and Albert and the entirety of “War Horse” itself. Steven Spielberg has created a celebratory film about that miraculous symbiotic relationship that is indeed spiritual. It is about the connection between souls, regardless of species, through respect, courage, honor and love through the worst of times and in our especially dark political, social times of the 21st century, a film like “War Horse,” to me is a necessity, especially as this one is handled so beautifully.

“War Horse” is a film that operates on 100% emotion and requires viewers to react with the same percentage of emotion. I would think that one would have to possess a granite sealed resolve to not be moved by this film even a little bit and even then, I would think that the most hardhearted cynic would have a spot of trouble. And despite any sense of skepticism some of you may have, all I say to you is…surrender. Just surrender and be swept away, so rapturously and so wondrously...and make absolutely no apologies!

No comments:

Post a Comment