Sunday, December 1, 2019

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR DECEMBER 2019

It is almost over. Kind of...

My love of the movies. Or better yet, my discovery of the movies as an art form that could transform and transport a viewer arrived to me in fullness at the age of 8 in 1977 when I saw George Lucas' "Star Wars" on its opening day, all all with endless, bottomless gratitude to my Dad, who took my family to see the movie because he was the one whose curiosity was tickled regarding the then new "space opera" set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  And now, after 42 years, the story that first engaged, enthralled and inspired me is coming to a close.
"Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise Of Skywalker," the ninth film, the closing chapter of the sequel trilogy which finds Director J.J. Abrams returning to the saga, bring the entire tale of the Skywalker family to its conclusion and for me, if I could only see one film this month...THIS...IS...THE...ONE!!!

Now...while this film does not even arrive until just before Christmas, there are several late November releases that I haven't even seen yet and still wish to. Furthermore, I am certain that many releases, technically scheduled to arrive this month, may not see wide releases until January 2020. So, things might go a bit wobbly and yes, this again means I will not compile a "Best of 2019" list until perhaps late January, which then means my Savage Cinema Time Capsule series during which I will reveal my favorite films from the decade of 2010-2019 will only arrive afterwards as well. 

Even so, I am more than curious to see the following selections...

1. Jay Roach's "Bombshell," his new politically themed drama surrounding CEO Roger Ailes, sexual harassment at FOX News and starring Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman and Margot Robbie has more than intrigued me.
2. The Sadie Brothers' "Uncut Gems" has caught my attention solely due to the rave reviews I have been seeing for the leading, and rare, dramatic performance from Adam Sandler.
 3. From the war beyond the stars to the Earthly battlefields of World War I...
Sam Mendes' "1917" does not open widely until January 2020, I am certain. But that does not mean that I am not just salivating over witnessing an experience that is already garnering an enormously enthusiastic response.

OK...as it has been throughout this year, the month could very easily be interrupted by all manner of life. But, that being said, please do send me your well wishes and I will again see you when the house lights go down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment