Friday, August 2, 2019

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR AUGUST 2019

The dog days of Summer just may provide me with more strong films for this cinematic year.

It is jointly interesting and troubling to me about the current state of our cinematic landscape. On the one hand, essentially everything that I have been able to see this year are films of high quality. On the other, whats troubling me is the fact that less and less films are even being released theatrically or are purely unable to try and build "legs" or word of mouth, allowing them to co-exist alongside all of the sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes and re-imaginings.

It is a time that is hurtful for the movies and audiences for not every film we can or should see should involved superheroes and special effects. Films that are not mythologies but portraits of what it means to be a human being are crucial to the passing of stories as well as allowing us to build empathy for those different than ourselves while also being entertained in a darkened room alongside a group of strangers. 

With August, I am hoping to view three films to feel to be tailor made for accomplishing the feat of viewing the world via eyes different from our own vantage points and perceptions.
1. Director Lulu Wang's "The Farewell" starring Awkwafina has seemingly become an independent film success and as of this writing, has at last arrived in my city. Unfortunately, I won't be able to screen it this week but I am hoping it hangs on tightly until next weekend.
2. Director Gurinder Chadha's Bruce Springsteen themed coming of age film "Blinded By The Light" is one I have been itching to see since I saw the trailer. And based upon my hugely negative reaction to Danny Boyle's "Yesterday," I wonder if this film will actually exist as a movie with a story or as yet another jukebox flick that exists only for audiences to sing along with. We'll see...
3. When Director Richard Linklater makes a film, I pay attention and now, with his adaptation of the best selling Maria Semple novel starring Cate Blanchett in the titular role, I am more than ready!

With my review of Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood" still being composed, that posting plus these three films will definitely keep me more than busy this month and here's hoping that life doesn't insert itself terribly much. Please send me your well wishes and I'll see you when the house lights go down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment