Tuesday, December 1, 2015

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR DECEMBER 2015

Like I even have to tell you what the movie of the month is...

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens," officially Episode VII in the on-going space opera set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, arrives on December 18th and as with the rest of the world, I am gathering, I am anxiously awaiting to make the jump to light speed and return to the cinematic universe that first made me love the language and artistry of the movies back in 1977.

Of course, I am trying to take everything in stride, just as I did with the arrival of the prequel trilogy back in 1999. I am trying to keep my expectations at a simmer, realizing that it is just a movie and not a religious experience akin to the second coming...or in this case, the third. While I have been skeptical of this new venture simply because Disney now owns the franchise and are certainly not concerned with the art and magic of "Star Wars," I am feeling that Writer/Director J.J. Abrams is the right fit to carry the torch of "Star Wars" creator George Lucas' artistic vision and intent as best as possible, as Abrams has long professed his passion for the series and has referenced aspects of the original trilogy over and again within his own projects. Even so, all will be revealed soon...

As for any other films to see during this month...well, I have to play some catch up with "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 2," "Creed," and "The Good Dinosaur." Aside from those..
1. Spike Lee's already controversial "Chi-Raq," his updated version of the iconic Greek play "Lysistrata" as fashioned as a satire/cultural commentary about our current crisis status of gun violence my home city of Chicago (and the nation at large) is at the top of the list without question!
2. "The Hateful Eight," the 8th film from Quentin Tarantino is also riding highly upon my personal must-see list. But, I am wondering that despite its Christmas Day release date, if the film may not reach my city until January 2016, especially the three hour with intermission version presented in luscious 70MM.
3. Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu's "The Revenant" also extremely high upon the must-see list and possessing a Christmas Day release date, also will not arrive in my city until early January 2016,

And that is more than enough to keep me busy as 2015 begins to wind down. So, as always, wish me luck and good health and I'll see you when the house lights go down!

No comments:

Post a Comment