Sunday, December 1, 2013

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR DECEMBER 2013

Today, December 1, 2013, marks the 78th birthday of Writer/Director Woody Allen and in discovering this bit of news, I feel that I must take stock in that milestone, especially as I will soon hit a new milestone with Savage Cinema.

Last month, life certainly pulled the proverbial rug out from underneath me as my home computer crashed and died, due to an ancient Motherboard. This event certainly took the wind out of my sails, and truth be told, painfully so as I do try to obtain and maintain a certain personal momentum, which I desperately hate to have disturbed for any reasons, be it through sickness, obligations through work, the basic responsibilities of life and most certainly, those pesky technological difficulties which do have their way of seemingly stopping one's life dead in its tracks in the 21st century.

Having this blog and my musically themed sister blogsite of Synesthesia on a hiatus made me feel somewhat adrift and unpleasantly so. Over these past two weeks or so, I even briefly questioned whether I could or even should try to continue these blogs if unforeseen events could stop me so suddenly and without any sense of mercy or care to what I wished to be doing with myself. It may seem to be a drastic measure to consider, but that is indeed how my mind and spirit work, for better or for worse.

The significance of Woody Allen's birthday for me is quite simple as he is a filmmaker of seemingly unstoppable productivity. Here he is, in advancing age, still cranking out one film after another at nearly the same pace of one film a year as he always has. It doesn't seem to matter if the previous film was artistically or financially successful or not. It doesn't seem to matter to him if the critics loved it or not or if it was bestowed with awards or ignored altogether. Woody Allen continuously writes and makes films because that is indeed what he does. And so, for me, writing about films and music is what I do as well and if technology would spontaneously fail me, then I do still have my mind, my hands and my heart...and technology can catch up to me again. Words I need to remember when those nagging thoughts of doubt and disappointment creep up again...as they always seem to do.

And so, life did indeed move forwards for me. I dusted myself off and I did continue to see movies and feel the inspiration to write about them--which I did--in longhand on a yellow legal pad. Now, that I am officially back on-line with a new home computer, I am slowly trying to get both blogs back to their active statuses, so please bear with me if new postings should arrive at either a slower pace or if they are featuring films that have been playing in your theaters for a spell already. I do have some catching up to do...

1. As of this time, I have new reviews of "Thor: The Dark World," Spike Lee's remake of the cult Korean thriller "Oldboy" and "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" all on deck in a flurry of scribbled notes and thoughts and I hope to be able to type them up within a week or so and have them ready for you shortly thereafter.

2. Now that our theaters will soon be flooded with new films, I know very well that I will be slowly viewing new films all the way through January 2014! But as of right now, I know for certain that I will get myself to Director Martin Scorsese's latest collaboration with Leonardo DiCaprio, the three hour epic "The Wolf Of Wall Street."  

3. I am extremely anxious to see "Her," Director Spike Jonze's first film since the groundbreaking and breathtakingly beautiful "Where The Wild Things Are" (2009).

4. My curiosity is also very high for Director Alexander Payne's "Nebraska" and Director Jason Reitman's "Labor Day" and most certainly, there is no way possible to keep me from any new film by The Coen Brothers, in this case, the folk music themed "Inside Llewyn Davis."

5. And yes...I am going to head back to Middle Earth for "The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug," Director Peter Jackson's second installment in his new trilogy.

Certainly, that is more than enough to keep me busy and I will try my very best, as always, to keep pace, remain focused and to never forget how much this site means to me as that aforementioned milestone will arrive in a few short weeks and just before 2014 makes its official arrival.

Thank you for being here with me and as always, I'll see you when the house lights go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment