Wednesday, August 1, 2012

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR AUGUST 2012

July was certainly one highly productive and most enjoyable cinematic month overall. And now, we head into August, often the part of the summer where less giant sized films are released and some sleeper surprises make their presence known.

At this time, I am feeling my attention turn to more independent films that will hopefully reach my Sundance Theater very soon.

1. "The Intouchables," apparently the highest grossing film ever in France, is now playing in town and the trailers have intrigued me enough to want to give it a whirl.

2. "Ruby Sparks," a literary, romantic fantasy from Directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, marks their filmmaking return, their first since their debut "Little Miss Sunshine" (2006). Admittedly, I was not a fan at all of that film and I am just hoping that they dial down the self-conscious quirk factor waaaay down for this new film. But, as with "The Intouchables," the plotline and trailer has intrigued me.

3. And for major releases, I am very curious about "The Campaign," the new comedy from Director Jay Roach and starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis. It has been quite some time since I have found a strong comedy and I am hoping that this one can potentially deliver the goods.

Also, I will make my annual tribute to Writer/Producer/Director John Hughes who passed away unexpectedly three years ago this month. As I have said many times before and will undoubtedly say many times again, the work of John Hughes has enriched and inspired my life in countless ways. I feel it to be my obligation to honor this man's career as my own life as a writer would not exist if not for him. This year, I will pay tribute through a two-part feature culminating in a new installment of "Savage Cinema Revists," as I look back upon a film released during his prime creative period but I feel has not been properly appreciated and therefore, sadly ignored.

All of that feels to be enough for this month but I will certainly allow myself room for any surprises.

As always, I will see you all when the house lights go down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment