Wednesday, August 1, 2012

REMEMBERING JOHN HUGHES-THE ANNUAL SAVAGE CINEMA TRIBUTE & SAVAGE CINEMA REVISITS INTRODUCTION

I still cannot believe that he is gone as the age of 59 was just too young.

Three years ago, on August 6, 2009, Writer/Producer/Director John Hughes passed away unexpectedly from a fatal heart attack while taking a morning stroll in Manhattan. As his creative life seismically influenced and inspired my own life, and most particularly in my life as a writer, I feel that it is my duty and extreme honor to take some time and pay homage to John Hughes on Savage Cinema each year on and around this date. While I am certain that I would have discovered this creative piece of my life in some way anyway, I cannot, and will not, ever deny the power Hughes' creative life had upon me and my continuing journey of self discovery. I just wish that I had been able to tell him somehow. But, in some inexplicable cosmic fashion, perhaps he can hear it and know it now.

This year, I celebrate John Hughes by focusing my attention upon a film that has received its share of short shrift from the time of its release to this point in time where its existence has been ignored and in some ways, forgotten save for some very rare airing on obscure cable channels. It is a film Hughes wrote and produced but chose not to direct himself, giving the directorial reins over to his collaborator Howard Deutch. Obviously, the film in question is not the now iconic "Pretty In Pink" (1986), the first collaboration between Hughes and Deutch. Dear readers, at this time, I am so happy to revisit "Some Kind Of Wonderful," the early 1987 release that would mark Hughes' final effort that exclusively explored the lives and dreams of 1980s teenagers.

I first saw the film at an advance sneak preview screening in my Senior year of high school. It was a night I would absolutely never forget as my excitement was palpable to anyone that knew me, especially my frustrated parents who had endured all things John Hughes from me for three years by that time. During that particular phase of Hughes' film career, and most notably during his five film tenure at Paramount Pictures, Hughes had begun the practice of crafting coming attractions trailers for the follow up film to the film you were just about to see. So, as I sat at an advance screening of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), I was amazed to watch the preview featuring a girl, whose face was obscured, sitting behind and playing a drum kit, with a stunning red heart splashed across her snare drum. The preview was for "Some Kind Of Wonderful," a film that had not, at least to my knowledge, even been cast yet, let alone even filmed. Yet, the preview announced that it would be ready for release the following February, approximately the same time of year during which "The Breakfast Club" (1985) and "Pretty In Pink" had previously been released.

By the time of the advance screening of "Some Kind Of Wonderful," my excitement was at a fever pitch and was amazingly increased as I entered the Ford City movie theater in Chicago and the usher handed me a promotional vinyl 45 single of Flesh For Lulu's "I Go Crazy" b/w The Apartment's "The Shyest Time," two songs featured on the official soundtrack album which was the inaugural release from Hughes' record label Hughes Music. I was indeed ready for the John Hughes magic once again but as I left the theater, I realized that I did not feel Hughes' unique brand of cinematic pixie dust as I had felt five times before with "Sixteen Candles" (1984), "Weird Science" (1985) and the aforementioned "The Breakfast Club," "Pretty In Pink" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

When I exited all five of those efforts, I found myself and my spirit floating highly, as if on top of the loftiest cloud, filled with joy, inspiration, romance and laughter, ready to re-enter my high school world with rejuvenation. The overall effect and impact of those films were powerfully immediate. Yet, when I exited "Some Kind Of Wonderful," the impact was not immediate, to say the least. While I knew that I had enjoyed what I had seen and what I felt wasn't disappointment at all, my emotions felt muted. 

First of all, "Some Kind Of Wonderful" really wasn't very funny. Even "The Breakfast Club," as emotionally wrenching as it often is, very frequently provided sequences and crackling dialogue that elicited explosive laughter. While "Some Kind Of Wonderful" was certainly one of Hughes more dramatic efforts, the proceedings felt to be considerably understated in comparison to "The Breakfast Club" and "Pretty In Pink."

It was not until I returned home and listened to my spanking new vinyl 45, and even perhaps a week after I had seen the film that I realized that the John Hughes magic was indeed very much present but it affected me in a completely different way. The magic of  "Some Kind Of Wonderful" was subtle, it lingered and it took time to resonate. I saw the film a second time during its brief theatrical run and it was on that second viewing where the full impact of the film had taken hold of me. This film was bittersweet. It was wistful. It was tender and pensive. Overall, "Some Kind Of Wonderful" featured John Hughes at his most gentle and empathetic, and thoughtful. To utilize a musical comparison starring his beloved Beatles (and mine as well), if the rambunctious "Sixteen Candles" was Hughes' "A Hard Days Night," then the more calming yet romantically urgent "Some Kind Of Wonderful" was Hughes' "Rubber Soul."

Although the film did receive some good reviews, especially from Roger Ebert, I had expected the film critics to be dismissive...and they were. What I had not expected was that the film would be somewhat rejected by even Hughes' fan base who mistakenly admonished the film with the too easy and utterly false description, "It's just 'Pretty In Pink' with the gender roles reversed." Oh dear readers, "Some Kind Of Wonderful" is so much more than that. So very much... 

For the next edition of "Savage Cinema Revisits," I will honor and take you through John Hughes and Howard Deutch's "Some Kind Of Wonderful." It is a film which I feel is one of Hughes' most unfairly underrated efforts especially as it is generally a quieter affair and one so kind hearted, so romantic, so understanding of peer pressure, class distinctions, the slow discovery of one's sense of self-worth and building self-reliance and certainly, the tenuous push/pull of the deepest friendships especially at the very point where life changes are just around the corner.

And what is even more amazing is that the film even turned out this well at all. But, I am getting ahead of myself...

Dear readers, I sincerely hope that you accompany me upon this journey as I celebrate John Hughes once more. if you have never seen "Some Kind Of Wonderful," then I hope that I am able to encourage you to seek it out. If you have seen it, I hope to encourage you to revisit it for yourself. And for all of you, especially now that John Hughes' work is being re-evaluated after his passing, I hope that all of you will be able to see what I see and realize above all else, just how special a film this is and how unique a talent John Hughes was.

And how there is absolutely nothing like this film right now, especially for teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment