Saturday, February 27, 2010

WARP SPEED: a review of "Star Trek"

Originally written May 16, 2009

"Star Trek" Directed by J.J. Abrams
**** (4 stars)

THIS is what a summer movie experience should be and all future summer movies should take copious notes! Director J.J. Abrams re-boot of the classic and somewhat creatively exhausted series has breathed an amazing amount of new life into this new confection, which is essentially the origin story of the classic Starship Enterprise crew members: The commanding and swaggering Captain James T. Kirk, half Vulcan/half human First Officer Spock, the cantankerous Dr. McCoy and so on. It is a ferociously paced, smartly written, brilliantly executed experience so much so that I wanted the next installment immediately.

The film begins with a bang as a renegade band of Romulans, led by the vengeful Nero (a effectively nasty Eric Bana), are in the midst of destroying a planet from the inside thus creating a black hole. To the rescue is a Starfleet vessel, which will soon be under the doomed leadership of George Kirk, the also-soon-to-be father of James Kirk who has an appropriately dramatic birth. We then meet Spock as a young boy on the planet Vulcan being taunted by other Vulcan children for being of mixed race as his mother is human. Of course, the pummeling Spock unleashes upon his bullies provides an great introduction to Spock's eternal and internal conflict between logic and emotion. The trajectories of Kirk and Spock's rebellious early years (with Kirk as a drunken, hot rodding Iowa townie and the continued discrimination against Spock by his own culture) collide at Starfleet where Kirk has just defeated an unbeatable simulation program created by Spock. Both young men are furiously head-strong and the intensity between the two is highly charged and used effectively once all parties emerge onto the Enterprise under Captain Pike and blast off into their first adventure.

There is so much praise to be heaped upon this new film that I am figuring out exactly where to begin. Let's see...how about the great cast! The casting is superb as all members instantly embody their iconic characters while honoring the original cast and somehow none of them resort to cheap imitations. Chris Pine perfectly captures the cocky impetuousness of Captain Kirk while Zachary Quinto (the deeply conflicted and purely evil superhuman serial killer Sylar on "Heroes") is so effective as the younger Spock that I could not imagine anyone else playing this role. Their chemistry is electric as they each wrestle for control of the Enterprise as well as their own sense of destiny while also channeling the deep friendship we all know they will have. I have to give special mention to Karl Urban who gives an eerily pitch perfect performance as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy. Urban has somehow found out how to make this character his own while seemingly channeling the gruff vocal cadences of the late DeForrest Kelley. Excellent work!

Another surprising layer to this film that worked so well for me was how the film answered the following quandary: I couldn't help but to wonder how there would be any real dramatic tension over a group of characters we already know will live into advanced age and continue to have interstellar adventures. Well, thanks a time-travel element, that question is dealt with ingeniously and leads to some jaw-dropping surprises.

Mostly, J.J. Abrams and his writing crew have delivered something special: a "Star Trek" film that honors all that has come before while also being a modern movie and presented in a fashion where someone completely ignorant of the voyages of the Starship Enterprise can still arrive to this film and enjoy it. The action is relentless but not in that punishing Michael Bay fashion where every frame is edited within an inch of its life and the sound system is jacked up to 39. Once again, everything goes back to the terrific script, which gives all of its characters their due, our affection for them grows, and we end up caring about their fates.

For fans of the original series, the film also does a great job of playing off certain imagery and tidbits from the past. If any of you happen to remember an episode where Sulu goes mad and prances around the Enterprise, shirtless and with a fencing sword, you will have a taste of swordsmanship here. Or the one where the Enterprise sees an alternate reality of its crew members. Even more compelling is the film's play on the show's implied sexual tension between Kirk, Spock and Lt. Uhura. The balancing act of having elements for the veteran as well as the complete novice is a tricky one and it was all handled so beautifully.

Perhaps the best thing I can say about this film is that it just took me back to my early childhood when I was a enthralled with the idea of space, planets (especially Saturn), stars and constellations and I watched the classic 60s television series in re-runs religiously. I had a toy Tricorder, a Captain Kirk shirt complete with a Starfleet insignia, a phaser gun and many book/record sets where I could audibly entertain myself with new adventures. My Dad even indulged my passion and drove me and my cousin out to a Toys R' Us in Niles, IL (nearly two hours away from my home on Chicago's southwest side) to meet William Shatner, an event so confusing and disappointing due to it swiftness--yet, somehow, as I reflect, it was a perfect example of his "Shatneresque" quality. The original series riveted me, sometimes terrified me and always captivated me. Many years later, I did watch the subsequent series here and there but I have to say that I'm not a "Next Generation" fan. Something always felt missing to me and I think my allegiance to the adventures of Kirk and Spock resonated best. This new experience made me return to those days and for a little over two hours, transported me away from my daily stresses.

It also took me back to a time when I couldn't wait for the summer movie season, for pure escapism that was crafted brilliantly, extremely well-written and acted and the special effects didn't overwhelm the story. Think of the summer of 1981, which boasted nothing less than "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and "Superman II." Or how about 1982, which featured "Poltergeist," the highly influential "Blade Runner" and "Tron" and of course, the classic, "E.T. The Extraterrestrial." This re-invention of "Star Trek" belongs in that class.

Adventurous, thrilling, at times very funny and always compelling with edge-of-your-seat excitement, this is easily one of my favorite films of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment