Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A SORT OF MISSION STATEMENT

"Be honest and unmerciful."
-Lester Bangs
"Almost Famous"

As I have taken my first steps into the virtual world of blogging, those words from Writer/Director Cameron Crowe's beautiful film entered loudly into my brain. As I think about those adjectives to be used when reviewing movies, I am conscious enough to note that I want to be responsible with how I reach and convey those "honest and unmerciful" revelations.

At this time, I turn to "Jerry Maguire," another of Mr. Crowe's films that has been a profound influence on my life, as I am now attempting to craft a sort of mission statement. This is simply my plan and wishes for this site and my full intent of what I will try my best to bring to you.

The internet can often be a dark place, filled with oceans of vitriol and venom. I do not want to contribute to that atmosphere in the least. I want "Savage Cinema" to always remain a positive sphere. I hope that if anyone responds to my reviews, they can be critical but just be respectful. I pledge to do the same in return.

As I have stated in my welcome message, I am not a film critic or expert. These are simply my opinions, written in the best way that I am able. There is a massive responsibility to being honest and unmerciful with one's opinions and I am of the belief that there is always a way to say something and express oneself. There is no need to be vicious just for the sake of doing so and I will try my best to be as eloquent as I am able with the writing. (Unless I see a film that truly deserves an interminable pounding...then, the gloves are off!)

My writing influences are vast but I will name a few. John Irving is my favorite author with others such as Nick Hornby, Zadie Smith, Roberto Bolano, J.D. Salinger, Jay McInerney, following closely behind. Judy Blume was a hero to me as a child growing up in the 1970s.

For filmmakers, Lawrence Kasdan planted a seed that blossomed once I became acquainted with Cameron Crowe and so eternally, with the great John Hughes, who sadly passed away this summer. There are many others but those gentlemen loom largest for me.

But, for the act of film criticism, I could not grow up in Chicago without the massive influence of Roger Ebert and the late Gene Siskel. These two critics presented a passion towards film that was unquestionable and the way they bridged the gap between the emotional and intellectual observations of film deeply resonated within me.

With my writings, I ask just to be invited into the neighborhood of these immensely talented people as I will try my very best to make what I write thorough, personable and enjoyable, as well as honest and unmerciful.

Well...what more is there to say?

Let's get started shall we...

No comments:

Post a Comment