Sunday, December 6, 2020

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR DECEMBER 2020


To be continued...

With the movies, this entire year, almost, has been nothing but one extended cliffhanger due to the on- going pandemic. Even though theaters have essentially re-opened to a degree, I know that all of them have not in my city--and this sadly includes the second run theater Market Square, which has transformed itself into my city's only theater to really offer independent films--and to that end, I have not set foot inside of a theater since February.

Yes, I miss it. So very much.

And in some ways, I haven't had the mental space to fully engage with how much I have missed going to the movies as my brain has been overflowing with worry, stress and anxiety, just as I am more than certain that it has for all of you...and it is just exhausting. 

Additionally, I haven't watched that many movies either, even though there are more than enough titles for me to peruse at home via the streaming services that I have subscribed to. Again, this is more than due to that aforementioned mental fatigue as well as time as my real world life as a preschool teacher is busier and more stressful than during the pre-COVID times. 

Just this past week, Warner Brothers announced that it will now have its entire 2021 release slate go to streaming services as well as arrive in theaters, which some have seen as a death knell for the movie theater industry. I am not that fearful...yet. Now that there are vaccines on the horizon, I wish to see where that will take us as a society. In defense of Warner Brothers, they have made a business decision which I do think is a smart one as the coronavirus is still with us with a vengeance and the future of it is still so unknown, even with the forthcoming vaccines. I wouldn't count movie theaters out just yet and I really think that once the world is safer, people will be just itching for a night out at the movies again.

I try to remain hopeful. I am choosing to be hopeful.

The experience of spending time in the dark with a roomful of strangers all sharing the experience of cinematic storytelling is unlike anything else to me, so much so that it is sacred. I need to believe that one day, I will again purchase a ticket, get some popcorn, find my seat and and immerse myself in sight and sound. But for now, I have to be patient as well as take the proper precautions.

And then, there is Savage Cinema, which has remained vital all year long and I am hoping that even with a slower pace, it will remain steadfast with new material arriving each month from me to you.  I have you to thank for this site's continued existence and I ask of you to keep doing your part so that we can go to the theater together again.

Please wear your masks, wash your hands and keep a safe physical distance.

Let's all work together to ensure 2021 is not the worst sequel ever made for no one on the planet wants "2020 Part 2."

No comments:

Post a Comment