Thursday, September 3, 2020

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

And the movie theaters are now open?

Dear readers, I am honestly fully unaware about the nation as a whole but in my fair city of Madison, WI., the movie theaters have either re-opened or are just about to re-open and I am torn. As bait, Christopher Nolan's "Tenet," long delayed due to trying to wait out the existence of the global pandemic which closed all movie theaters down for the previous six months, has finally been released as extremely provocative big budget bait to attract people back to the move theater experience--an experience that I have reassured for over 40 years of my life. 

And truth be told, as extremely attractive as that bait happens to be, I am admittedly torn but still firmly planted in the camp that feels that it is still all too soon.

During this time during COVID-19, where our country is unquestionably doing the very worst in the world with dealing with this event, we have all been making extremely difficult choices. I won't go into my specific choices at length but in short, I have been keep a fairly strict adherence to remaining within my "pods" of home, grocery & pet stores and of course, school, where my role as a preschool teacher has been "elevated" to that of being an essential worker (ugh). The stress, uncertainty and anxiety we are all dealing with is as real as the trauma of the times and so, the so called "new normal" is a time during which absolutely nothing at all is remotely normal. 

And so, going to the movies, while as desirable as ever, still feels to be so dangerously unsafe no matter what protocols movie theaters are putting in place. Believe me, I understand. Hell...I overstand!!! As with so many businesses and especially within our arts communities, the longer we are unable to engage with the arts and entertainment that sustain all of us, the danger rises that we may lose what we love and most importantly, the human cost of employment and lives lost.

But...for now, I just can't. I can put myself in any additional jeopardy or unintentionally place others in the same. Not just yet. There needs to be more time and greater assurances that safety is in hand definitively.

As for Savage Cinema, I do have a review of a 2020 release in the hopper and I do have my final installment of the Time Capsule series to actually craft for you. I am not worried about this blogsite as I have more than had enough material to sustain it for six months. But, viewing moves from home is not something I ever wish to become the norm.

Even in a world that has become everything that isn't normal.  

I wish for all of you to stay safe, especially if you do go out to the movies. And one day, we will meet again when the house lights go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment