Thursday, February 1, 2018

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR FEBRUARY 2018

The one-sheet image says it all as far as I am concerned for the month of February 2018 at the movies.

Whatever the arrival and reception of Patty Jenkins' "Wonder Woman" (2017) meant to female viewers, both young and adult, all I can hope for Ryan Coogler's "Black Panther," is that he is able to accomplish something equal or even more seismic for Black people with regards to African-American representation in front of and behind the camera for big budget motion picture filmmaking, and the fantasy/superhero comic book film genre as a whole.

That is a high bar indeed, when all one would normally hope for is to just see a damn good movie. But even so, "Black Panther" has already proven itself to not be a "normal" film, even within the gargantuanly successful Marvel Comics movie universe. It is the kind of movie that I have not ever seen within my lifetime and believe me, dear readers, when I say that I need to see a film like this. Advance word is going through the roof and the hype is building. So, to keep my expectations measured, I am trying to lay low but I'm tellin' ya, when I am able to get myself to seeing it (my  month is already gearing itself up to being quite busy so, I may not be able to see it opening weekend--GRRRRR!), you cannot stop me!

Aside from this film, my month with Savage Cinema will be getting myself ready for the 90th annual Academy Awards telecast next month with the long gestating reveal of my annual Savage Scorecard series detailing my favorite and least favorite films of 2017 plus my Oscar predictions.

There is definitely a lot to get too and I think that perhaps I should get myself started straightaway, don't you think? So, take care of yourselves and wish me luck in return, if you please...and I'll see you when the house lights go down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment