Thursday, September 1, 2016

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

What an absolutely dismal movie season we had this summer and how thankful I am that it is all mercifully over.

After enduring one of the weakest move seasons in recent memory, I am more than ready to place these three months or so long behind me as I look forward to the future. The fall movie season typically holds many features of (hopefully) higher quality, and in the case of this year, I am just happy to have some new films to actually feel a sense of some anticipation. While September, as I scroll through the releases, looks to be somewhat slim, I am curious about the following...

1. While Oliver Stone, who has long held a spot as one of my most favorite filmmakers, has not created the types of films that I have felt to be equal to his golden period beginning with "Salvador" (1986) and roaring through until "Any Given Sunday" (1999), I do become more than curious when he does re-appear since he is not nearly as prolific as in years past. My gut is telling me to wait to check out the tenor of reviews first but even so, I am curious as to his take on this especially controversial figure.
2. A Ron Howard documentary is something unexpected. But with "The Beatles: Eight Days A Week-The Touring Years," the unexpected has become something of extreme interest to me as this is indeed my favorite band of all time as presented through the filter of this veteran filmmaker.
3. Tim Burton makes his return to the big budget arena with his adaptation of the young adult novel and book series opener "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children." With Burton, it really is hit or miss (with many more hits than misses but those misses tend to be especially tough going), but I am rooting for him.
4. But then, there is this flick..."Yoga Hosers," the second installment in Writer/Director Kevin Smith's flat out bonkers Canadian set "True North Trilogy" is hopefully on the way to my city and I'd better catch it when I am able as I know it won't be here for more than one week. I don't care about the harshly negative early reviews. I just know that whether love it or hate it, Smith has regained his status as one of our most fearless and original filmmakers, so I have to check out whatever he plans to dish out.

And so, I begin again at this point. So, as always, please do send me your well wishes and I'll see you when the house lights go down!

No comments:

Post a Comment