Friday, July 1, 2016

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR JULY 2016

And so we reach the middle of the Summer Movie Season in the middle of 2016 and frankly, I again find myself not terribly excited about very much at all. Curious, certainly. But excited...excited in the way I used to find myself excited about new film releases in years past, hardly so.
1. Granted, I am curious about Steven Spielberg's adaptation of Roald Dahl's "The BFG," a book that I have actually read to my young students for several years, therefore making this story a "movie" that I have made inside of my head very distinctively. But, we are dealing with Spielberg, one of our unquestionable cinematic masters, so we will see...
2. Justin Lin, most famously known for directing (I believe) four installments in the franchise known as "The Fast And The Furious," has taken over the directorial reins from J.J. Abrams for "Star Trek Beyond," the third installment in the new film series. While the initial trailers of the Simon Pegg co-written film did not impress me in the least, subsequent footage has grown more eye-catching, so again, we will see...
3. And here is the elephant in the room, Director Paul Feig's reboot/re-imagining/not a sequel but maybe it is of the iconic "Ghostbusters," now starring a cast of notable comedic women (Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones and Melissa McCarthy) as the titular team. Yes, the controversy has existed at a fever pitch among the skeptical and so horribly, among the sexists. As for me, I do have to say that I am indeed one of the skeptical...the extremely skeptical, as none of the trailers have impressed me whatsoever in addition to the fact that I would rather see this director and these women collaborate on something wholly...oh, I don't know...original, perhaps. I truly want them to perform well and I am hoping they somehow can deliver the goods..but you know...I am skeptical.

And with that, let's see how this month at the movies turns out for all of us and as always, I will see you when the house lights go down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment