Wednesday, October 1, 2014

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR OCTOBER 2014

October looks to be an especially busy cinematic month and all going well, I will be able to see them all and believe me, I do want to see them ALL!!!

First things first. I am certain that for those of yo who happen to e regular followers of this site, you are probably surprised that I have not seen Director Steve James' critically acclaimed "Life Itself," his documentary about the life, writings and eternal influence of the late, great film critic Roger Ebert. Trust me, I am surprised even moreso than you!

You see, I had been hoping and waiting for it to arrive in my city to play at the Sundance theater and for quite a spell it looked as if it would be making its way to that theater as they did have a poster in the lobby and were also running the film's trailer. But, it is now looking as if that film, for whatever reasons involving distribution, is highly unlikely to arrive. Oddly enough, it did play in my city for just one showing on one day at one of the student Unions on the college campus and no, I did not go.because at that time, it seemed likely the film was just this close to appearing at Sundance.

While it would have meant everything in the world to me to have been able to see the documentary in a MOVIE THEATER, it seems as if it is not to be and I have to go the route of...Video On Demand, a format that I refuse to accept as being the means to watch first run films for the first time. But...so it goes...

My plan is to try and scratch out some time to see that film plus Terry Gilliam's "The Zero Theorem" at home. And as for the actual movie theater?

1. Director David Fincher's latest literary adaption, this time, "Gone Girl," based upon the smash novel by Gillian Flynn, opens this very weekend and I 'm going to try my best to get myself a theater seat.

2. I am also hoping to catch the indie comedy "St. Vincent" starring my main man, Mr. Bill Murray!

3. One of the most intriguing films that I have been anxious to see this year is "Birdman (Or The Unexpected Virtue Of Ignorance)" from Writer/Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and starring Michael Keaton. Now that the film has begun to receive rave reviews from the film festival circuit, my excitement has only grown.

4. OK Sundance, you didn't get "Life Itself" but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE Get the new college campus set race relations satire "Dear White People" from Writer/Director Justin Simien!!!!!!

5. And to that end, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get the indie film festival smash, the drumming drama "Whiplash" while you're at it.

That is much more than enough to keep me busy before the onslaught of holiday film releases so as always, wish me luck...

...and I'll see you when the house lights go down!

No comments:

Post a Comment