Monday, September 1, 2014

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Quality not quantity...

At least that is what I am hoping for when I head to the moves this month and especially as September is an extremely busy time with the start of the new school year. I am still finding myself waiting, and not so patiently for Director Steve James' "Life Itself," his celebrated documentary about the life and writing of the late, great Roger Ebert, to finally arrive at the Sundance theater.

Yes, I know that I could potentially view the film on my television screen through an On Demand feature but I feel that a movie abut Ebert needs to be first screened in the darkness of the movie theater. It's strange and even saddening to me that we seem to be living in even more precarious times as far as moves are concerned as long established filmmakers are struggling to get their new films made or even seen in movie theaters only to find them being forced to go to Kickstarter services or having their wide canvased visual feasts being premiered on television screens. And regardless if you even do have one of those mega-sized HD television screens complete with blasting, booming sound systems to boot, as far as I am concerned, it is just not the same experience as sitting in the dark and having a shared experience with a room full of strangers. That is what the movies are for!

Anyhow, for this month, I am wondering just exactly which films that I will even be able to see as they are all on the smaller scale.

1. I am very anxious to see "The Skeleton Twins," a new drama starring former "Saturday Night Live" cast members Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig as estranged siblings. The film received very high marks on the festival circuit earlier this year and it has remained on my radar ever since.

2. I am so very happy that Writer/Director Kevin Smith has decided to reverse his words and not fully retire from filmmaking as he is beginning to embark upon a new Canadian themed trilogy, the second of which is currently filming. The first installment is the new horror film "Tusk," which from the trailer looks to be especially grotesque and yet another fearlessly stylistic u-turn from one of our most idiosyncratic filmmakers.

3. And then, there's the latest film from one of the most idiosyncratic filmmakers to ever stand behind the camera, Mr. Terry Gilliam with his new science fiction/philosophical/phantasmagorical epic "The Zero Theorem," which is scheduled to arrive on...Video On Demand but what abut the theaters?!

From this point, we shall see what else arrives upon this site but until then, I'll see you when the house lights go down....

No comments:

Post a Comment