Friday, August 1, 2014

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR AUGUST 2014

Lately, some of you may have been seeing stories about how the box office for the Summer of 2014 has under-performed, yet the tenor of those articles make everything sound as if the entire movie industry is ready to go the way of the Dodo--which aside from being fall down on the floor laughable is also something that really means nothing to me when it comes to the overall quality of what is being released.

Sadly, we have become a culture where a film's entire success depends upon whether it breaks box office records in the first few days of its release, a tactic that has indeed contributed to the homogenization of what is being released as well as the increased lack of personal filmmaker's visions being represented on screen.

All of that being said, and also having avoided quite a number of films in the process, I have had a much more wonderful time at the movies this Summer than I remember having last year simply due to the quality and variety of what has been released. Any season that can hold films like "Chef," "Begin Again," and "The Fault In Our Stars" alongside "Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes" and "How To Train Your Dragon 2" is a movie going season that I can happily support--hefty box office or not.

August looks like it is going to be an extremely busy one as I have been told by the lovely folks at my Sundance theater that both Richard Linklater's "Boyhood" and Steve James' Roger Ebert documentary "Life Itself" will both be arriving this month. In addition to those two, which I have been salivating with anticipation to screening...

1. "Guardians Of The Galaxy," the latest installment in the ever expanding Marvel Comics film universe is next up as I hope to see that this coming weekend.

2. Luc Besson's "Lucy" still has my curiosity piqued as well, despite the tenor of the mixed reviews that I have been seeing.

3. I have also been told by the folks at Sundance that Woody Allen's "Magic In the Moonlight," his 47th film, I believe, will also arrive later in the month.

So, as of right now there are five films I wish to see and anything beyond that, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we...

Until then, I'll see you when the house lights go down!

No comments:

Post a Comment