Sunday, June 1, 2014

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR JUNE 2014

I cannot help but to wonder if any of you dear readers out there have been wondering if I have gone a bit soft due to the amount of high ratings that I have been awarding to the movies I have seen this year.

To that possible perception, I can understand the sentiment because really, could it possibly be that all of these movies that I have seen so far in 2014 have been of such high quality for so long? Surely, I have seen something that has not been a positive experience, couldn't I have? To answer that question, I honestly offer you a dual "Yes" and "No."

Yes, I firmly stick by all of my reviews for this is explicitly how all of the films that I have seen this year have made me feel. You have all read precisely how I have responded to them and I am so pleased to express to you that I have been a truly excited movie-goer so far as the quality of the movies that I have chosen to see, all very diverse films, have really been stronger than the batch that I saw at this same time one year ago.

But, please allow me to impress upon you that while it may seem that I am an easy "four star review" film enthusiast, I truly am not and also, and despite my high ratings, I really haven't seen that many films this year based upon how many films have actually been released and how many that I have purposefully avoided to boot--some films that may have just slipped through the cracks, some I feel that I will wait for video to keep my personal costs down (because if I am going to pay those theater prices, even matinee prices, it has better be good!) and of course, some films that I am not interested in seeing at all. (Which means, that the latest "Transformers" movie will not be screened at any point--not that you ever thought I would subject myself to that kind of torture...)

And now, we arrive at the sixth month of the year and the new releases are starting to pile up at a rate at which that I am hopefully able to keep pace with including...

1. "The Fault In Our Stars," the highly anticipated adaptation of the justly celebrated John Green novel. I am anxious to see this film but am just curious if it will retain the novel's smart decision to remain decidedly unsentimental or will this just be an updated version of something like "The Notebook'? We'll just have to see...

2. Director Doug Liman's sci-fi/time travel/existential thriller "Edge Of Tomorrow" is one of the few big budget, special effects fueled films that I have been anxious to see and I am hoping, based upon the tenor of early reviews, that this will be a special event!

3. Also, there is "How To Train Your Dragon 2," the sequel to the 2010 wonderment, and another film where the tenor of the early reviews have been very strong.

4. Then, there's the screen adaptation of the smash hit Broadway play "Jersey Boys" as directed by Clint Eastwood. Despite Eastwood's formidable creative presence, I have to say that I really wasn't that interested in this film until I saw the trailer, which did quickly hook my attention. So, if I have the time this month, maybe I will add this one to my docket.

As I hope to continue my good movie streak, all of this sounds like more than enough material to keep me occupied for the month. So, as always, keep your fingers crossed, wish me well...

...and I'll see you when the house lights go down!!

2 comments: