Sunday, September 1, 2013

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2013

I'm so glad that's all in the past.

I think that if you were to judge the 2013 movie year based solely upon my reviews, I would gather that you would think that the quality standards of most film releases were of quite high standing. But, there are unquestionable factors to weigh in.

Remember, I don't see every single film that is released every year. Not only am I just financially unable to accomplish that feat, I simply and plainly do not want to see every single film released ever year as there are just so many films released that I do not want to waste my money or time upon. And that was the issue with this summer's offerings. Yes, I went to the movies almost weekly this year and yes, my ratings for the films I saw were typically high. But understand that between May and August, there were a plethora of films that I chose NOT to see because they all seemed to represent the creatively bankrupt era that we all happen to be living in...and some of the dwindling box office reports and surprising flops seemed to echo that sentiment to a certain degree. So far, the very best films I have seen this year have been the ones that have been a little left of center, and certainly ones that have been smaller budgeted pieces rather than the glut of sequels, re-boots, re-imaginings and so on.

So now, we arrive at Autumn and the beginnings of what are considered to be more high profile quality driven releases. While the month, overall looks to be fairly quiet, I do have some cinematic irons in the fire awaiting the fullest of my attention.

1. After a considerably long absence, my feature "Savage Cinema Debuts" will return with a film that I have had sitting in my DVD stack for quite a while, just waiting for the perfect time to be viewed. The identity of that film will be a surprise so stay tuned...

2. As of this writing, I am planning on taking in a screening of "In A World..." the Hollywood satire and filmmaking Writing and Directing debut of Actress Lake Bell.

3. Woody Allen's "Blue Jasmine" and the teen love story/drama "The Spectacular Now" have both finally arrived in my city and if I can swing it, I'll get myself to both of those as well.

4. And then, there is "Don Jon," the R rated Writing and Directing debut of Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt, which by the trailer looks to be extremely intriguing.

So, that seems to be more than enough to have upon my plate for the month, especially with the beginning of a new school year to tackle as well. As always, I will try to pace myself and do my best for myself and for you.

I'll see you when the house lights go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment