Friday, August 2, 2013

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR AUGUST 2013

The "dog days" of the cinematic movie year have officially arrived as August is typically a slow month for quality new releases. But, for your friendly neighborhood film enthusiast, this may be a blessing in disguise as the weeks of playing "catch -up" were busy indeed. Even so, there is always something new on the horizon and for this month, I am hoping to view the following....

1. If Woody Allen's highly rated new film "Blue Jasmine" hits the local Sundance theater, you KNOW that I will be there excitedly!

2. I am very excited to see "Elysium," Writer/Director Neill Blomkamp's follow up to his outstanding "District 9" (2009). In a year where the bigger films have faltered considerably, I am anxious to see if Blomkamp is able to once again show how art, vision and entertainment can be combined in captivating and thrilling ways.

3. I never thought that I would see two apocalyptic comedies in the same summer but that time has arrived with the release of Writer/Director Edgar Wright's "The World's End." Most surprisingly, I still haven't seen Wright's "Shaun Of The Dead" (2004) or "Hot Fuzz" (2007), and I do still wish to, it was his wondrous work with "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" (2010) that is excitedly getting into this theater seat.

4. Buzz has been high for the new teen drama "The Spectacular Now," which is supposedly in the vein of classic teen films like Cameron Crowe's "Say Anything..." (1989) and the work of John Hughes. We shall see...

5. Speaking of John Hughes, August 6th will mark the fourth anniversary of his passing. To commemorate, Savage Cinema's annual remembrance will focus upon one specific and crucial feature of Hughes' finest work: the music!!!!

That is more than enough to keep myself occupied this month and I am hoping all of my plans and schemes happily fall into place.

Stay tuned and I'll see you when the house lights go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment