Saturday, June 1, 2013

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR JUNE 2013

I have to say that after the disappointingly weak beginning to the movie year, the cinematic month of May was a most positive one that I hope will point to even greater films to follow.

Despite the fact that I awarded two films with my personal four star rating last month (Baz Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby" and J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek Into Darkness"), I feel that I have yet to see something that would really send me over the top. Could the month of June provide me with that gift?

1. Tomorrow, my plan is to take in a screening of Writer/Director Noah Baumbach's latest effort, "Frances Ha," starring the celebrated Greta Gerwig, who co-wrote the film with Baumbach. I have to admit, Gerwig's charms are still lost on me as I was not that impressed with her work in Baumbach's previous film "Greenberg" (2010) or furthermore, I wasn't that taken with the film as a whole for that matter. That said, I am always on the lookout for greatness and I sincerely hope that this film will affect me in ways "Greenberg" did not.

2. Writer/Director Sofia Coppola returns with her fifth film this month, "The Bling Ring," starring Emma Watson. Coppola has been four for four with me and anytime she steps behind the camera, I will always anxiously await the results.

3. My fingers are still crossed that Writer/Director Richard Linklater's "Before Midnight," the third film in the love story of Jesse and Celine (played by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, respectfully) will arrive at my Sundance theater this month.

4. The wizards of Pixar really, really need to re-earn my good graces after a string of successively subpar material, culminating with last year's awful "Brave." While the idea of a prequel in this month's "Monsters University" does not excite me and in fact, makes me shrug a bit. I do want to give them the the good 'ol college try, especially as the original film is a personal Pixar favorite of mine.

5. I am extremely curious as to the results of Brad Pitt's mega-budgeted gamble, the zombie apocalypse of "World War Z." The trailers have been impressive to me and I hope this is a worthy film to experience.

6. And of course, there is the unmissable film of the month..."Man Of Steel," from Director Zack Snyder and Producer Christopher Nolan. As far as I am concerned, it has been over 30 years since there has been a "Superman" film worth watching. I hope that this new film is the one to revitalize a character who has long deserved a new film to match his ever extending legend.

That is more than enough for me to sink my teeth into for the month (as well as my other and equally passionate duties with the sister site, Synesthesia). I will pace myself and try to keep up with the speed of life, hopefully writing and writing for my spirit and for your pleasure.

I'll see you when the house lights go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment