Wednesday, May 1, 2013

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR MAY 2013

As always, with the arrival of the month of May comes the official beginning to the Summer Movie Season and this month in particular looks to be front loaded with must see material!

1. Opening in the first weekend of the month is "Iron Man 3," with Director Shane Black taking over the reins from Jon Favreau who remains on board as Executive Producer and even appears in the film as Tony Stark's (again played by Robert Downey Jr.) loyal chauffeur/bodyguard. After the wonderment set last year with "The Avengers," the bar has been re-set even higher and I sincerely hope the creative powers-that-be are able to deliver the goods and then some.

2. The following week Director Baz Luhrman's anxiously awaited adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's eternal classic "The Great Gatsby" starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire hits the screens and you know I have to get myself to that one--especially as it was originally set to open this past Christmas and I feel that I have been patient enough!

3. And then, the weekend after that, Director J.J. Abrams returns with his long awaited sequel, "Star Trek Into Darkness"!

4. And even then, Writer/Director Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy reunite to bring us "Before Midnight," the third installment in their on-going series involving the lives and love story of Jesse and Celine.

5. Beyond even that, Writer/Director Noah Baumbach returns with his new film "Frances Ha." While I was more than underwhelmed with his previous two features, "Margot At The Wedding" (2007) and "Greenberg" (2010), Baumbach has long been a filmmaker whose creative voice has spoken to me loudly in his earlier features, most especially "The Squid And The Whale" (2005) what I feel to be his best film so far.

Now, all of this would certainly be more than enough for me to chew upon and I hopefully will have the ability and time to take them all in plus continue onwards with a new installment of my "Savage Cinema Revisits" series and any other potential surprises.

May life and the universe allow me to steadily push forwards and I'll see you when the house lights go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment