Saturday, September 1, 2012

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Summer's over.

While the just concluded summer movie season was not as creatively diverse as the cinematic summer of 2011, I was indeed more than pleased with the efforts I saw throughout the hot and humid months. I was so happy to not only view films that surprised and entertained me in large amounts, several of those films, have already earned slots as some of my favorite films of the year at that.

And now, with the arrival of Autumn, the movie studios throughout Hollywood and the independent studios are ready to bring out the proverbial "big guns." And in my mind, the return of Writer/Director Paul Thomas Anderson with "The Master," his first film in five years and follow-up to the tremendously ahead of the curve "There Will Be Blood" (2007), represents the very kind of cinematic "big guns" that makes me salivate profusely with anticipation. So, after I mop up my chin, I am also very curious about the following features...

1. "Sleepwalk With Me," an independent comedy based upon Mike Birbiglia's original written work and monologues for National Public Radio's "This American Life" program.

2. I am beginning to hear a certain strong positive buzz surrounding "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower," a new teen comedy/drama written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, and based upon his original novel. As strong teen films are in such short supply, a potential new entry always...ahem...perks my cinematic radar in its direction. And I am also very curious to see Emma Watson in her first role since the conclusion of the "Harry Potter" series as well.

3. I am also very interested in screening "Celeste And Jesse Forever" co-written by and starring Rashida Jones and also starring Andy Samberg as a couple attempting to remain best friends even after their divorce.

4. I am plotting to potentially carve out a new "Back To School" themed posting featuring not a feature film but a beloved television series that concluded much too soon and yet somehow, it feels absolutely perfect as it is. I'll keep the identity of the series under wraps for the time being though as I would love to give you some surprises once in a while.

However, as I am heading back to school myself for a new school year with a band of four year olds, and the month of September being what it is in the cycle of the school year, we shall see if I can indeed compose this piece. We'll see...

Until then, please stay tuned, wish me luck and I'll see you when the house lights go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment