Friday, July 1, 2011

SAVAGE CINEMA'S COMING ATTRACTIONS FOR JULY 2011

I typically do not use any on-line movie ticket purchasing sites for the following simple reasons: I tend to see matinees anyway, so there's not the rush of crowds to deal with--even in the summer. And I suppose, I am very tied to the ways of my cinematic youth when you just made your plans, arrived at the theater and let the chips fall where they may. But, there have been exceptions over the years and for this month, that exception can easily be boiled down to two words: "Harry" and "Potter."

Dear readers, I am no fool and the moment I see that tickets have gone on sale for the final installment in this unbelievably and gloriously classy film series, I am purchasing that on-line ticket for I will not wait longer than I have to to see Harry, his friends and enemies in their grand finale, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2."

Aside from Mr. Potter, I am very excited for the month of July and I am simply gobsmacked at how wonderful a cinematic month June happened to be. Summer at the movies has not been this wonderful in seemingly eons and I am hoping that July will continue this fine streak.

1. The Marvel Comics Universe continues this month with the highly anticipated "Captain America: The First Avenger" from Director Joe Johnston.

2. Director Jon Favreau steps outside of the "Iron Man" franchise with the equally highyl anticipated and brilliantly titled "Cowboys and Aliens" starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.

3. I am also hoping that the smaller scaled independent film "Beginners," starring Christopher Plummer and Ewan McGregor arrives in my city this month.

4. While I am typically not one for movie love stories, I am very excited to see "One Day," Director Lone Scherfig's adaptation of the excellent novel from David Nicholls starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. Let's see if that film garners a wide release and makes it to my city as well.

5. I also have plans to bring you perhaps one or two new installments of "Savage Cinema Revisits."

6. If I am able, I am hoping to squeeze in a screening and review of the new music documentary "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth."

7. And finally, I am already composing and piecing together a tribute to Bongo Video, my local video store, an independent small business that will sadly close its doors later this summer.

Phew!!! Busy plans for a busy month. I hope to bring them all to fruition for me and for you.

I'll see you all when the house light go down...

No comments:

Post a Comment